Thursday, October 10, 2013

My top five EU topics



Hello everybody :) 
In order to choose a topic for the academic paper we will have to write I did some research and I came up with five issues I could imagine to write about.

1. The compatibility of family and career in different EU countries 
There are several laws and rules concerning child and job management in different countries. This would be an interesting topic to write about for me because I often have to think about what I will do after the birth of a baby. Will I stay at home until the child is old enough to attend the kindergarten? Will I return to my working place as soon as possible and let my youngster at a crèche? I am quite sure that I will try to stay with my baby as long as I can but let's wait and see. 

2. Work - life balance
As I have to work alongside my studies I have to deal with hours of labour etc. This is how I came up with this topic. I think it could be really interesting to experience how all the different countries handle their career / lifestyle balance.

3. Important languages in the EU
At the beginning of my studies I had to decide which two languages I want to study and this decision was a very difficult one. I had English, French and Italian at school and I really wanted to learn Spanish or Portuguese. The question was: Which language is helpful in my future work or which languages are the most sought after ones? Finally, I chose English and French and I decided to add new languages after some time. Therefore, I'd like to find the answer to my question to be able to choose a language which is really in demand in the EU.

4. What different school types are there in the EU?
My brother gave me this idea. As he will finish his studies maths and physics to become a teacher soon he already thinks about schools he wants to work at. In Austria there are always lots of changes and new plans concerning our school system. I'd like to find out which types of schools and school systems there are in other countries.

5. Smoking bans in the EU
I'm a non-smoker but I have absolutely no problem with someone who smokes. The only thing which disturbs me is when I'm eating something and the person next to me blows his fume into my direction. This is the reason why I'm grateful for smoker and non-smoker areas in restaurants. Now I'm also interested how strictly other countries handle their smoking bans.

So, let me know what you think about my choice. Do you like my ideas? :)

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I think most of your choices are awesome! However, there is one thing which I do not like so much and that is the first one, namely the compatibilitiy of family and career in different EU countries. I think is maybe too imprecise to write 1500 words about it. Nevertheless, what really interests me is choice number three and four. The language topic concerns all of us so it would be great to learn more about it but I also like the school issue! I really look forward to reading your academic paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Diana, all of your topics sounds interesting. However, the one I liked the most is your fifth topic. Since I am an strictly non-smoker I really enjoyed my stay at mallorca, where you aren't even allowed to smoke in clubs and it would be interesting to find out how it is in the other EU countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would find it interesting to reed an assignment about "work-life balance". As you have a job additionally to university, I'm sure that you will manage very well writing about it as you're somehow also affected by it. :)

    ReplyDelete