Saturday, June 22, 2013

Culture Project - Ireland & USA

Hey guys :)

I went to see at least ten culture presentations and I have to say that there were lots of very interesting topics so that it was really difficult to decide upon five topics for the Komissionelle Gesamtprüfung. The first presentations I listened to had topics concerning the USA presented by students of Frank's class.
Although I'm not a big comic fan, the presentation Comic books and superheros was very interesting and had lots of really cool pictures.
Next I payed attention to Two Heroines of America Aviation: Amelia Earhart and Bessie Coleman which was worth hearing, as well.
Before changing the room to go to the Irish presentations I listened to Hurricane Preparedness and actually I was more interested than I had assumed.
The Irish presentations I watched were Hill of Tara - Historical and spiritual at the same time, This is Friz!, Languages of Irish Travellers, The ambivalent influence of King James II on the Irish, The Integration of Islam in Ireland, Witchcraft in Ireland, Homophobic Bullying in Irish schools, The history of ISL and The St. Magdalene Laundries in Ireland.

The five topics I chose for my KGP:
As my first topic I decided to take Witchcraft in Ireland by Sabrina Krassnig. I love stories and movies about witches, wizards and other magic and mythical beings. Therefore I had already been very curious about Sabi's presentation and I think she did it really well.
The second topic I chose is Homophobic Bullying in Irish schools by Shirin Mahrouzadeh. To be honest, I've been a victim of bullying myself for some time because I've never had the perfect body and I had to suffer quite a few times the comments of other people or even "friends". Besides being very interested in this topic, this is my personal reason for choosing it.
Next I chose The history of ISL by Lisa Moder. I have always been really into sign language because it fascinates me how people are able to communicate just with their hands. I thought about studying sign language at the beginning of university but finally I didn't. However, I'm sure that I will start to learn it at some time.
Another topic for my KGP is The St. Magdalene Laundries in Ireland by Teresa Brenner. I think she presented it very well and this is why she engaged my interest.The topic was quite touching but it also made me kind of angry and upset and therefore I chose it.
Finally I chose Abortion Law in Ireland - A Pro-Choice View. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to listen to the presentation but I've already gathered information about it and am sorry that I wasn't there. As abortion is always a current and controversial subject it is really worthwhile to learn more about it. 

These are my five chosen topics for the Kommissionelle Gesamtprüfung and I'm looking forward to dealing with them in a more intensive way. 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for choosing my topic! Yap being bullied because you don't have the perfect body is the meanest thing! Tell me about it, I've also been bullied so many times because of that...

    ReplyDelete